Monday 7 April 2014

The Life, at Home project

During 2013 and 2014 I found myself building up a group of life model contacts, not by design but by accident. I found it interesting how many said that they had not modelled for a photographer and this, together with my interests in more personal photography and the photography of the nude led me to the idea of a project to shoot life models at home, nude. 
To take myself out of my comfort zone, I decided that I would shoot the project predominately on black and white film. 
Being a life model is often quite an impersonal activity, especially when modelling for a group or class. For life artists there is often little or nothing that can be known about the personality of the individual model who is naked in front of them. The poses are often intentionally contrived to be interesting to the artists while not so uncomfortable for the model to hold a pose for lengthy periods. 
In what I will be asking for I am concious that the project will take many life models out of their comfort zone, indeed some may never have been photographed nude and perhaps few in a away that may create an emotional connection with the viewer.
These are portraits, not figure studies. The face is all important. Reflecting my use of the word 'personal' I intend to to follow principles that help maintain anonymity where desired.
The fundamental is that the subject must be a genuine life model willing to be photographed nude at their own home.

No comments:

Post a Comment